- Start with Chang Li Supermarket at 2079 Benedict Avenue, that is your widest selection of anything in the area.
- Then, there is Key Food on Unionport Avenue (in Parkchester), which has some interesting organic stuff, if you know where to look. One of my faves is Organic Chestnuts, which I like to combine with Brussels Sprouts.
- Then, you can go up and down Starling Avenue, which is a virtual Little Bangladesh in the Bronx, and there are fruit and vegetable vendors up and down the street, and you can find amazing stuff.
- On your way out, if there's anything you have not found yet, there's always the Pioneer Supermarket at 1345 Castle Hill Avenue. I like them for their organic salads and organic banana's and organic cherry tomatoes. Lots of other good stuff as well.
Here is your itinerary: Starting from Pioneer, through Starling Avenue, to Chang-Li and ending at Key Foods. If it's fresh food and you haven't found it yet, there's something missing.
The Starling Avenue Vegan Wrap
|Crispy 100% Whole Wheat Roti|
Start with a Crispy Whole Wheat Roti, which you can get at any of the Bangla stores on Starling Avenue, and here goes:
- Heat your roti(s) as per instructions
- A good schmear of (home made) hummus on about 1/8th of it.
- Some brown rice or quinoa, or any other grain you like.
- Some steamed veggies, like string beans, or okra, or kale, or carrots, whatever suits you,
- Some Teriyaki sauce. Bragg's Liquid Aminos, or Tamari or Shoyu on your steamed veggies
- Alternatively use fresh salad or watercress, etc.
- Maybe some roasted or fresh mushrooms
- Add a fork full of Sauerkraut or Kimchi
Roll this up. Finger lickin' good. The ideal solution to take with you if you're trying to avoid road food (I make two of them and roll them up in a strip of paper towel, with Saranwrap around it, and put it in a sandwich bag to take with me if I'm likely to get stuck in a place where there's little choice.
It's little things like these that make me feel that I've never eaten so well in my life as since I went all Vegan, about a year ago today.