- Start with Chang Li Supermarket at 2079 Benedict Avenue, that is your widest selection of anything in the area.
- Then, there is Key Food on Unionport Avenue (in Parkchester), which has some interesting organic stuff, if you know where to look. One of my faves is Organic Chestnuts, which I like to combine with Brussels Sprouts.
- Then, you can go up and down Starling Avenue, which is a virtual Little Bangladesh in the Bronx, and there are fruit and vegetable vendors up and down the street, and you can find amazing stuff.
- On your way out, if there's anything you have not found yet, there's always the Pioneer Supermarket at 1345 Castle Hill Avenue. I like them for their organic salads and organic banana's and organic cherry tomatoes. Lots of other good stuff as well.
The Starling Avenue Vegan Wrap
|Crispy 100% Whole Wheat Roti|
- Heat your roti(s) as per instructions
- A good schmear of (home made) hummus on about 1/8th of it.
- Some brown rice or quinoa, or any other grain you like.
- Some steamed veggies, like string beans, or okra, or kale, or carrots, whatever suits you,
- Some Teriyaki sauce. Bragg's Liquid Aminos, or Tamari or Shoyu on your steamed veggies
- Alternatively use fresh salad or watercress, etc.
- Maybe some roasted or fresh mushrooms
- Add a fork full of Sauerkraut or Kimchi
It's little things like these that make me feel that I've never eaten so well in my life as since I went all Vegan, about a year ago today.